Under the Pines
|Under the Pines|
|Release||Thing a Week Four|
- 43rd Thing a Week, released July 28, 2006.
- It is not obvious from the lyrics, but this song is told from the fictional perspective of Leonard Nimoy, who played Spock on "Star Trek" and hosted the "In Search of..." series of TV specials. According to JoCo's blog post about this song, it takes place after Nimoy, filming the "In Search of... Bigfoot" episode, actually found Bigfoot and the two "hooked up and had a crazy fling":
At first this was just a "Bigfoot broke my heart" song, but I wasn't getting a lot of traction. It wasn't until I realized that it was Leonard Nimoy talking that it came together for me. There are just a couple of subtle references to Spock in there, and Bigfoot's name is never mentioned, so if you haven't read this explanation you are either confused, or blissfully unaware that it's about Bigfoot and Leonard Nimoy.
- "I wish I really had no emotion" is a reference to Nimoy's role as Spock, a character known for not experiencing emotions.
- "Our minds were one" is a reference to the Vulcan mind-meld.
- "In Search of..." is name-checked in the chorus; the third verse refers to another episode of the show, "In Search of... Atlantis".
This page is a stub. You can help by expanding it!